Many Tourists ask the same question regarding means of transport between Hanoi to Halong bay and Cat Ba island.
From Hanoi to Ha Long Bay
- Travellers can get a bus from Hanoi Gia Lam bus station to Mien Tay bus station in Bai Chay (Halong city). It currently costs about USD3. However, no one in the bus can speaks English or foreign languages. Use your body language now. Also, bring with you Vietnam Dong (currency) as USD is not accepted.
- Train from Hanoi to Halong and return: Starting from Gia Lam Railway Station, Korea- invested train, USD20/single ticket. It arrives at Halong Train Station. The station is 4 km away from the Bai Chay Tourist Wharf.
- Daily morning driver by Our operator in the Old Quarter of Hanoi, shuttle bus costs USD20/person/one way
- If you arrive Noi Bai Airport and want to travel to Ha Long city, rent a car with a driver. Our company
offer this service at a little less than USD 100/one way for private car from Noi Bai- Halong. Note that this rate includes parking fee, tolls, petrol, driver.
- Car rent from Hanoi- Halong Bay (2 days/ 1 night) costs USD150/car/ 16 seat car.
- Train: By train, people take cargo train from Hanoi to Yen Vien and then to Quang Ninh. The terminal is about
50km away from the habor. Expect train delay, cancellation without notice. Available hard sleeper only,
the rate USD10/way.
- Open Bus: Departing from Hanoi: Gia Lam or Luong Yen Stations
Arrival in Ha Long Bay: Ha Long Bus Station.
Cost: 100,000VND (approx 5US$) per person/per way.
-By Shuttle Bus
This type of transfer is available for departing from Hanoi center only. The shuttle bus can be understood as “tourist bus”, leaving Hanoi around 08:00 and return at 12:00 from Halong Bay every day. If your hotel is located in Hanoi Old Quarter, you will be picked up from the hotel. Otherwise, you have to take a taxi to the meeting point. There are maximum 14 people on shuttle bus – the Ford Transit minivan.
Meeting point in Hanoi: In front of Opera House, N0 1 Trang Tien Street, Hanoi
Ending point in Halong Bay: Bai Chay habour
-Please note that unless you have a Vietnamese driver's licence it is illegal for you to drive a car or motorcycle in Vietnam. International Driver's Permits are not recognised.
From Hanoi to Cat Ba Island, Lan Ha Bay
Getting to Cat Ba Island is comfortable and easy with Hoang Long Bus Company for 170,000 - 210,000 Dong (approx. $9 - $11 USD). This route takes 4.5 hours and DOES NOT go through Ha Long City, it goes through Hai Phong City. If you decide to take a public bus instead it is not recommended to go through Ha Long City as it is extremely difficult to get to Cat Ba Island from there.
-Transportation fees have been known to fluctuate seasonally.
- If you take the 5:20am bus, you may have to wait for the second speed boat, particularly in the low season. The company will not run the boat if there are a small number of passengers.
- Hoang Long Bus will you off in the center of Cat Ba Town upon arrival.
Hoang Long Buses depart every day from Hanoi at: 5:20AM, 7:20AM, 11:20AM, and 1:20PM. Plan on arriving at least a half hour early to play it safe. Luong Yen bus station is about a 15 minute ride from the Old Quarter of Hanoi to the station. Buy your tickets at the station (recommended) or on the bus.
The station where all buses depart from and tickets can be purchased:
Ben xe Luong Yen
So 1 Nguyen Khoai
How it works:
)Take a taxi or motorbike (xe om) to Luong Yen Station. Facing the petrol station, the ticket office is to the left at the top of a flight of stairs, with the Hoang Long counter inside. Purchase a ticket "to Cat Ba." Sometimes they may ask you to buy the ticket on the bus if it is the same day of travel. After you buy your ticket walk down the stairs and out to the bus depot (or if you’re super early take a seat, chill and head down about twenty minutes before departure time).
Only board a bus bearing the “Hoang Long” logo and don't get on the earlier Thanh Long Bus which looks similar and departs at 5 minutes after the hour. Most importantly: show the driver your ticket so they can confirm for you. Any questions ask a uniformed Hoang Long driver.
)You will depart from Hanoi on a nice big air conditioned bus with reclining seats for a 2-2.5 hour ride to Hai Phong City. The bus will probably make some little stops to let people on and off. Once you will arrive in Hai Phong stay on the bus and point to your ticket and say: “Cat Ba.” The driver will take you to the transfer point which will most likely be a small Hoang Long office with the address:
Cong Ty T.N.H.H Van Tai Hoang Long
So 5 Pham Ngu Lao
)At this Hai Phong bus stop/office you will transfer to a smaller bus which will take you to the speed boat (about 45 minutes). The speed boat ride is about 35 minutes and will take you to Cai Vieng Harbor, Cat Ba Island.
Once on Cat Ba Island, you’ll transfer one last time to another bus which will take you along the coast and into Cat Ba Town!
Your ticket will cover all transfers. Transfers are timely and easy, just get off the bus or boat and the next means of transportation will be there waiting for you. All forms of transport are air conditioned. The entire trip should take you about 4-4.5 hours.